ABOUT THE MIKE CLEVINGER TRADE
1. Cash issues are hanging over many groups. That’s a reality. The want to minimize salaries and discover cheaper/youthful replacements is a rising focus for a lot of groups. One baseball govt informed me: “Prospects are value greater than ever now. Groups are fearful in regards to the monetary implications of COVID-19 on subsequent season. You understand how many top 100 prospects were traded? One. That’s proper … one. Taylor Trammell.”
2. I appeared it up and he was proper, no less than in case you use lists reminiscent of these compiled by The Athletic’s Keith Legislation and Baseball America. Texas tried to accumulate Clint Frazier as a part of a take care of the Yankees for veteran starter Lance Lynn, a 16-game winner in 2019. The Indians additionally requested about Frazier. The Yankees refused to trade him as they are also hoarding their prospects.
three. I point out this as a result of it explains why the Indians ended up dealing Mike Clevinger, Greg Allen, and a participant to be named later to the Padres for six gamers: Cal Quantrill, Josh Naylor, Austin Hedges, Gabriel Arias, Owen Miller and Joey Cantillo. Groups didn’t wish to commerce elite prospects.
Four. Baseball America made an inventory of the highest 25 prospects traded. #1 was Trammell. Then got here their listing: Arias (#2), Cantillo (#Four) and Miller (#6). Of the prospects traded, the Indians picked up three of the highest six.
5. The Indians may have waited till the tip of the season to deal Clevinger, however they believed the market can be even tighter. Groups are “scared to demise,” as an govt informed me. Who is aware of if there can be followers within the stands? Who is aware of what number of followers will purchase tickets even when they will go to video games?
6. Some groups that often would have been serious about Clevinger weren’t as a result of he’ll make $eight million in 2021 because of arbitration. There additionally have been some considerations due to Clevinger’s current damage historical past. He was on the injured listing in 2019 for 10 weeks with a sore again/shoulder. He got here again, damage his ankle and had one other journey to the injured listing. Then he had minor knee surgical procedure this spring.
7. However when Clevinger is wholesome and pitches, the person is excellent. He allowed two runs in six innings in his debut with Padres (a 2-Zero loss to the Dodgers). He has a 43-23 profession report with a three.20 ERA.
eight. The Indians believed Clevinger had extra commerce worth in the midst of this quick season than ready till the season is over. The Tribe likes to make huge offers across the buying and selling deadline when groups are extra determined so as to add expertise for a playoff push. San Diego traded 14 guys and added eight in offers making an attempt an to make the playoffs for the primary time since 2006.
9. Getting into the 2019 season, Josh Naylor was ranked #99 in Baseball America’s top 100 prospects. The Padres are loaded with younger expertise. They traded Franmil Reyes and his eye-popping energy a 12 months in the past as if he was nothing greater than a spare tire.
10. Naylor is barely 23. Heading into the weekend, his career MLB stats are .250 (.710 OPS) with 9 HR and 37 RBI in 299 at-bats. He as soon as weighed 250 kilos on his 5-foot-11 body. Within the low season, he dropped 30 kilos. In 224 video games at Class AA and AAA, Naylor batted .303 (.850 OPS).
11. Cleveland made mid-season offers with San Diego in 2018 and 2019 that introduced Reyes, Brad Hand, Adam Cimber and Logan Allen. As group president Chris Antonetti stated, the Tribe had requested for the three latest prospects (Arias, Miller, Cantillo) in earlier offers.
12. Miller is the least identified of the prospects from the Padres however could possibly be the primary to succeed in the majors. He’s a career .307 hitter (.808 OPS) who has 17 HR in 805 at-bats on the Class A/AA ranges. He doesn’t strike out a lot. He can play second, quick and third. He made solely 12 errors in 122 video games at quick, however he’s thought-about a greater wager to play second base. The Indians consider he may arrive with the Tribe in some unspecified time in the future in 2021.
13. Arias is taken into account probably the greatest defensive shortstops within the minors, a pure athlete. However he’s solely 20 and hasn’t performed above Class A. He hit 17 HR whereas batting .302 within the Class A California League in 2019. Put him on the listing with prospects Tyler Freeman and Bryan Rocchio as long-range prospects to interchange Francisco Lindor at quick.
14. The Indians consider they will put 20-year-old Cantillo into their minor league pitching growth program and give you left-handed starter in a number of years. Cantillo has a 13-7 report and a couple of.51 ERA in 169 minor league innings, fanning 221. His fastball is within the 90-mph vary. He has misleading movement, a very good changeup and a breaking ball that wants work. At 6-Four, the Indians consider he can enhance his velocity as a lot of their pitchers reminiscent of Shane Bieber, Zach Plesac and Mike Clevinger did of their minor-league system.
15. Not a lot is said about Cal Quantrill, who was the Padres’ first-round choose in 2016. He by no means made it as a starter, however has discovered some current success within the bullpen. His fastball is within the 95 mph vary. The Indians will hold him in reduction for now, however they’ll practice him as a starter subsequent spring. What they name their “pitching group” believes they may also help the 25-year-old right-hander develop into a profitable starter. If not, he’ll match within the bullpen.
16. I requested Antonetti why the Indians needed veteran catcher Austin Hedges as part of the deal. He stated they needed depth behind Roberto Perez. They worth protection from the catchers, and he was a finalist for the Gold Glove in 2019. He’s a weak hitter, however that’s not an enormous concern for the Tribe after they fee catchers.
17. The Indians did ask about outfielder Starling Marte, who was eventually traded by Arizona to Miami. However the Indians weren’t going to surrender a lot for Marte, who has a $12 million possibility in 2021. That was thought-about too costly.
RECENT TERRY PLUTO COLUMNS
New Indians face masks on the market: Here’s where you can buy Cleveland Indians-themed face coverings for coronavirus protection, including a single mask ($14.99) and a 3-pack ($24.99). All MLB proceeds donated to charity.