ABOUT THE TRIBE & TRADES
1. I’ve heard some followers speaking in regards to the Indians selecting up a bat such Boston’s J.D. Martinez. Simply cease. It’s not going to occur. The Indians are like a number of different mid-market groups within the COVID-19 period. They haven’t any plans so as to add a dime to their 2020 payroll.
2. For what it’s value, Martinez is batting .213 (.686 OPS) with three homers and 15 RBI this season. He’s a big-time hitter off to a gradual begin. Within the earlier three years, he averaged 41 HR and 113 RBI. He additionally has two extra years on his contract value $19.5 million yearly.
three. The Indians have been reducing payroll even earlier than the virus hit. Their payroll dropped from $135 million in 2018 to $119 million in 2019. This season, it will have been within the $90 million vary if 162 video games have been performed, according to Cots Contracts.
four. As Tribe President Chris Antonetti just lately stated: “We’ve been fairly clear in regards to the magnitude of our monetary losses. That’s the case for lots of groups throughout the business.”
5. However the Indians have been having monetary issues earlier than the virus. A part of the reason being they misplaced minor investor John Sherman, who bought the Kansas Metropolis Royals. Sherman had an estimated 15-to-20 p.c curiosity within the Tribe. I’m informed his stake within the crew is in some kind of escrow account. The Indians will both add one other minority proprietor or they’ve to purchase out Sherman’s share. However I’m unsure what’s the timetable for that to occur.
6. In June, Antonetti said: “Our monetary losses will probably be extraordinary this 12 months.” Nothing has modified since then. In actual fact, the Indians are certainly one of many groups the place workers have taken pay cuts and/or have been laid off.
7. Aside from some huge market franchises, most groups are reluctant to make huge strikes. Whereas it seems the season will probably be performed to a conclusion after which have an prolonged playoffs, that isn’t a positive factor. The virus has hit some franchises very onerous. Groups surprise, “What if we don’t end the 12 months and that cuts off the TV income?”
eight. Within the brief time period, that brings us to Mike Clevinger. The pitcher has about $750,000 left on contract for the remainder of 2020. The Indians don’t really feel any urgency to commerce him. He has labored his method again into favor with the crew and the gamers after his night time out in Chicago.
9. Groups are calling the Tribe about Clevinger. The Indians do have an extra of beginning pitching, one of many few groups in a position to make that declare. Clevinger has two extra years left underneath crew contract. Which means a membership buying and selling for him can view it as a long-term acquisition.
10. The Indians have an interest to creating a Trevor Bauer-type commerce for Clevinger, with one exception. They might not choose up a somewhat-expensive veteran OF reminiscent of Yasiel Puig, who was a part of the deal in 2019. They might be in search of gamers such Franmil Reyes (underneath crew management for 4 years) and pitching prospects Logan Allen and Scott Moss.
11. Puig agreed to a contract proper earlier than the season with Atlanta. He failed the COVID-19 test. Since then, there have been rumors about Puig signing elsewhere, nevertheless it hasn’t occurred. That does let you know one thing about him and his market worth.
12. One of many rumors floating around for some time has been Clevinger to the Yankees for some prospects beginning with former Tribe OF Clint Frazier. It does make sense. The Yankees don’t want him when their OFs are wholesome. In 462 MLB profession plate appearances, Frazier is a .258 hitter (.785 OPS) with 18 HR and 64 RBI.
13. The 25-year-old Frazier has had some immature moments in New York. He has a historical past of concussions. However I feel placing him in a secure, less-pressurized scenario reminiscent of Cleveland would enable his promising bat to provide. However I don’t hear robust rumors about this deal proper now. The Indians have made trades with the Yankees, together with the 2016 deal for Andrew Miller that despatched Frazier to New York.
14. Cash will turn out to be a priority with Clevinger. He’s arbitration eligible in 2021. His 162-game base wage was $four.1 million. That most likely will improve to $7 million or extra. That’s why it’s probably the Indians will commerce him within the low season if it doesn’t occur within the subsequent few days.
15. I used to be questioning about Brad Hand being traded. After a gradual begin to the season, Hand has pitched nicely these days. He’s is 9-of-9 in save alternatives with a three.72 ERA. He has a $10 million crew possibility for 2021. The Indians gained’t choose that up.
16. James Karinchak is ready to shut in 2021. If they’ll transfer Hand for an outfielder, Karinchak can take over the function proper now. He has allowed one run in 16 2/three innings. He’s fanned 31 and walked solely six.
17. The Indians will probably be making some painful choices after the season. Carlos Santana has a crew possibility for $17.5 million. That gained’t be picked up, although the Indians treasure their sturdy first baseman.
18. Santana will most likely find yourself like plenty of free brokers after the 2020 season: The market will probably be stingy and really tight. Maybe he comes again to the Tribe on a really low-cost contract. Hand is one other who may discover few groups prepared to bid for him.
19. In fact, there would be the Francisco Lindor rumors after the season. He will probably be in line for a contract value greater than $20 million by means of arbitration in 2021. The Indians gained’t pay him that.
20. A giant drawback for groups such because the Tribe is promoting 2021 tickets. What number of (if any) followers will probably be allowed to attend? Even when followers can come, what number of will achieve this? COVID-19 retains altering our habits and likewise has delivered a significant hit to disposable revenue for particular person followers and people companies that search season tickets.
Painful adjustments are coming for a lot of groups, not simply the Tribe.
RECENT TERRY PLUTO STORIES
New Indians face masks on the market: Here’s where you can buy Cleveland Indians-themed face coverings for coronavirus protection, including a single mask ($14.99) and a 3-pack ($24.99). All MLB proceeds donated to charity.